February 02, 2012

Toby, we are not at Mercer anymore.

The Universtiy of the West of Scotland is very, very different from Mercer.

Semesters are called "trimesters," and every time someone says the word "trimester," I think of pregnancy, haha.

Instead of taking four to five classes, students can only take up to three classes. I thought this was odd until I actually sat through a class. Holy workload. For next week's classes, I need to read at least 27 chapters of material.
Oh, by the way, I'm taking Community Care Policy, Disease, Medicine and Society, and International Politics. My professor for Disease/Med & Society is an absolute nutcase. She said the "f word" at least ten times in thirty minutes. She mentioned something about society's dependence on medicine and said that "next time you suck a fecking fag, remember what the doctor has to say." I almost fell out of my chair. Then I remembered fag means cigarette.

Each class meets once per week, so I only have class on Wednesday/Thursday. That is ideal since it costs five pounds to get to the school and back.

The Student Government (SGA) here is called the Student Union. Their headquarters is a three story building on campus that has two cafes and "the biggest bar in Paisley." They pretty much do the same things that Mercer SGA did, however they get their funds from fundraisers. For example, the latest fundraiser was a "Frat Party" that included beer pong tournaments and a keg.

I laughed my head off when I saw the flyer!
The week has definitely been stressful and I am absolutely exhausted. Good thing there's a pretty bottle of white wine chilling for me.
XOXO-Kels 

1 comment:

  1. So I am completely failing at commenting on your blog posts, but I promise I read all of them because I miss you so much and I want to know everything that's going on in your life. That was a really long sentence! Anyway, this place sounds more like the stereotype that Europeans have about American universities...hmmm...Well I hope that you are having a fantastic time, and I love you!

    ReplyDelete