January 30, 2012

Rocky start.

Today was my exchange student orientation or "induction."

I expected the day to be just as challenging as it actually was.

The Commute was a nightmare.
At Mercer, I woke up at the ADPi House on Greek Row and walked ten minutes to my class.
This morning, I had to be at the school at 10:00 am. I left at 8:15, just to be safe. I even took a book because I planned to get there very early.
This is the route I will be taking to school Tuesday-Thursday:
Walk to Hyndland train station
Get on the train to Glasgow Central
Change trains to Paisley Gilmour 
Walk up Moss Street
Turn right on High Street
Sounds simple, right? Unfortunately, I hopped on the train to Queen's Street, which wouldn't be a big deal if the man giving me directions to Glasgow Central didn't tell me to go right instead of left. When I noticed that I was actually leaving the city, I decided to turn around and try the other direction. I probably walked about four miles just switching train stations that were only a half mile apart. 

Um, awkward.
There are about 75 foreign exchange students at UWS. The exchange program is made up of two parts: the Erasmus exchange for students from the EU, and exchange students from a school (like Mercer) that is under contract with UWS.
I became immediately aware that most of the exchange students were in the Erasmus program--mostly French. My head was literally swirling at all of the languages going on in that room.

So, I am sitting there, minding my own business, when the Study Abroad coordinator walks up and looks at my paper to see where I'm from. He sees that I am a Mercer exchange student and his little heart just seems filled with joy. He asked if I wanted a coffee or tea (didn't offer to the other students) and said that UWS was so lucky to have a Mercer exchange student. I'm not going to lie, I was flattered. Then he mentioned that UWS and Mercer have a contract, so eventually I gathered that UWS makes big money from my attendance. 

I'll be damned if he doesn't walk to the front of the room, before the 75 exchange students, to say:

"Everyone, can I have your attention? We have a "special" exchange student from America! I hope that you will make her feel welcome and comfortable! Stand up, Kelsey. Yes, let's all make her feel welcome!"

And that is how I became the most awkward exchange student at UWS. 

XOXO-Kels

1 comment:

  1. Mercer, Smercer, that man thought you were a hottay!! :)
    Miss you and hope all is well!!

    ReplyDelete