May 28, 2012

Conquering Cobbler

A few weeks ago, Ian's dad told me that we were going to climb a mountain named Cobbler. I was excited but nervous!

What southern belle wouldn't want to climb a mountain named Cobbler? After all, I've eaten peach, cherry, and blackberry cobbler my whole life! 

Peach Cobbler: fruity filling poured into a big dish and covered with biscuit. Unlike a pie, cobblers do not have a bottom crust.
I was also pretty nervous. On my last trip to Glasgow, we climbed Ben Lomond. Because I was so out of shape and the air was so thin, I had two panic attacks. I thought I was going to die. 

It's all fun and games at the bottom...
The mountains in Scotland are classified based on height. Ben Lomond was considered a Munro, mountains that are 3,000+ feet. The Cobbler almost made it as a  Munro, but was only 100 feet short, with a peak at 2,900 feet.

View of the neighboring mountains.
At the bottom, the Cobbler zig-zags through trees up to about 1,000 ft in a very annoying and tiresome way. I was already exhausted by the time I could actually see the peak. 

At about the half-way point, we came across a reservoir with fresh spring water. Because of the heat, it was tempting to jump in on the way up. We saved it for the way down! 
The dogs enjoyed the water on the way up!
Also on the way up, we came across a couple who were making their way down. Ian asked them where the elevator was, and they replied with an AMERICAN ACCENT! The couple was from Kentucky. They live in Scotland for six months out of the year to run the Ferry Inn, built in 1896 by the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria (Princess Louise). Such as small world! Here is the link to their pretty little inn: http://ferryinnofscotland.com/owners.html

Back to the mountain! There were a few ways to get to the top. We chose to go around to the back of the mountain. It was very steep!
The Peak! Apparently this is where The Cobbler gets its name...the rocks are supposed to look like the figure of a 'crooked shoe maker' (cobbler).
If you look closely you can see people rock climbing! 

When we finally got to the top, Ian climbed the needle. To get to the top of the needle, you have to pass through a small opening in the rock which leads to a tiny ledge. Then, you have to climb up a slope which leads to the flat summit rock. Few people (including myself) never make it to the actual peak, and even fewer people stand up!

Ian actually did stand up, but the picture was blurry. 
The American in me expects a coffee shop or souvenir shop on top of the mountains...I would have definitely purchased a t-shirt that said "I climbed Cobbler." However, the views are enough! 

Made it to the top! 
The descent was a piece of cake (or cobbler, haha). I was literally running down the mountain because I wanted to jump into the water!
In the freeeezing reservoir!
 I was also looking forward to taking another titanic picture! Definitely a mountain-climbing tradition!
                         

The whole trek was just over six miles. As you begin to walk down, you really appreciate what you accomplished. 




Next time, I will just remember to put sunscreen on my back/legs...I am absolutely fried.

No comments:

Post a Comment