January 21, 2012

a British Vocabulary Lesson

Since my very first trip to Scotland in December 2010, I have had a growing list of British vocabulary in the back of my head.

I have learned that it is important to at least attempt to use their vocabulary because it could lead to some awkward situations if you do not.

For example, during my first visit. I was playing with Ian's "wee" niece, Katy, in the back "garden." She fell down on her "bum," and got really upset. We went inside to find Nana Wendy. Nana Wendy asked what happened, and, unfortunately, I replied "She fell down and hurt her fanny." Nana Wendy's eyes grew very large and she gasped.

It wasn't until months later that I found out the British meaning of the word "fanny."

Ian and I were at a theme park and I pointed out a lady with a "fanny pack." Ian's eyes also grew very large and he also gasped. Why? Well, because the word "fanny" actually means "vagina" in Britain.

Kill me.


So, I have developed a running list of British vocabulary.

British                    American
Mobile
Cell Phone

Fag
Cigarette 

Bum
Bottom, ass, behind (you get the picture)
Chips
French Fries

Crisps
Chips

Boot
Trunk of a car

Knickers
Panties

Pants
Underwear

Lorry
Truck

Lift
Elevator

Chemist
Pharmacist

Trousers
Pants

Jumper
Sweater

Trainers
Tennis Shoes

Nappy
Diaper

Holiday
Vacation

Car Park
Parking Lot

Petrol
Gas

Scone
Biscuit
Bangers
Sausage

Sweeties
Candy

Ice Lolly
Popsicle

BIscuit
Cookie

Toilet
Bathroom

Bin
Trash Can




And most importantly:


Football (pronounced"fitball")
Soccer



Hopefully this list might help you if you choose to travel to GB. 

XOXO-Kels

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of when I was in France and this girl was working at a sandwich shop in a mall. She was learning English, and when she found out that I was American and had just come from England, she wanted me to explain the difference between chips, crisps, and french fries. Okay, boring. Let's be real, your story is hilarious. Love it! Love you! Also, let's Skype sometime!

    ReplyDelete