March 14, 2012

Mean girls.

This post is designed to take you though a 'day in the UWS life of Kelsey.'

Quite conveniently, the story I'm about to tell correlates very closely with the movie Mean Girls. 


Being a foreign exchange student is a very odd experience. You might as well walk around with a sign on your head saying 'I'm American, don't talk to me.' Unlike the American college system, where you take Gen Eds with students from other majors, in the UK you only take classes that pertain to your major, with students who share that major. In other words, you are with the same kids from day one. Everybody knows everybody, so when an exchange student comes in, they are typically outcasts...sort of like lepers.

Anyways, you could possibly think of me as Cady Heron--replace Africa with America and eliminate the big boobs and red hair. 


The University of the West of Scotland has a very unique student population. My favorite spot to go and eat by myself  is the library common area. Here you can see the different types of students clumped together.

You have the gamers, huddled around a laptop.

You have the adults. UWS has a massive adult population...seriously over half of every one of my classes. The funny thing about them is some of them try to dress 'hip.' I'm talking mid forties in cut off blue jean shorts (with suspenders) over fishnets, with motorcycle boots.

You have the foreign exchange students. You might think that I would fit in nicely here. However, they are all French and they all speak French. That could get awkward for me...


Then, you have the most interesting group, The Plastics. This group of girls must spend three hours getting ready for school. Each one has an uncomfortable set of fake lashes, the darkest fake tan possible, and outfits that look like they were planned at least a week in advance.

In the midst of this group, you see her. She has the biggest lashes, the darkest tan. Everyone is fawning over her and listening to her every.last.word.

She is Regina George and she happens to be in one of my classes. The minute I saw her walk in, I knew she was a very special human being. I kept trying to figure out how to describe her in my blog. I couldn't exactly take a photo, so I decided to put my artistic skills to work.

There she is. Every single day she comes in with her hair piled way on top of her head, so much mascara on fake eyelashes that I'm afraid they are going to get stuck one day and she will go blind, hot pink lipstick that sometimes makes an appearance on her teeth, and an outfit that makes the professors uncomfortable. Last week, she wore a see-through, red, lace top with a black bra underneath. She paired it with black, leather shorty shorts, fishnets/motorcycle boots, and earrings that made her earlobes sag. 

She has yet to speak to me, but I have a feeling that one day we will have a conversation that I will never forget.

XOXO-Kels

2 comments:

  1. This conversation should start ASAP with, "can i take your picture for my American blog?" LOL probably not a good idea.
    Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jessica, please strike up a conversation with her. :) I hate to see you're eating alone! Just pretend it's recruitment and walk up to someone and introduce yourself! - Amy (Stupid Blogspot doesn't recognize me)

    ReplyDelete