April 18, 2012

Currently prying my foot out of my mouth...

First of all, I think it is important to know that I am extremely respectful of cultures that are different from mine.

For example, when I was younger, my family stopped by an Amish farm to buy yummy produce and baked goods. As we were shopping around, I noticed signs on the walls that asked customers to respect the Amish views on dress and to cover up. Now, I wasn't dressed like hoochie or anything, but my tank top and shorts might have made them feel uncomfortable. So, I jumped back in the car and waited on the fam. 

I recently did something that made me look like the ignorant, close-minded American that unfortunately exists...

After our lecture, we broke out into our discussion groups. As usual, my group wasn't really doing what we were supposed to be doing and the topic of TV came up. I think the Brits almost love TV more than I do! Shows like Idiot Abroad, Geordie Shore and Teen Mom 2 were brought up. Actually feeling "in the loop" for once, I decided to pitch in to the conversation. 

So I brought up My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. 

I went on about the clothes that the girls wear and "that one wedding where her dress was literally cutting into her hips..."

Nobody was really responding...they actually looked uncomfortable.

Finally, a boy speaks up and says "I'm a Gypsy."

Kill me right now.

I was mortified. I managed to give some sort of an apology. The rest of the class consisted of condescending looks on the stupid, closed-minded American. 

I think I'll just go jump in a loch...

No comments:

Post a Comment